Highly recommended by Cascadia Artpost for the bookshelf of every mail art creator or anyone curious about artistamps and postal art is a new softcover book by San Francisco artists Jennie Hinchcliff and Carolee Gilligan Wheeler, Good Mail Day (Quarry Books, 2009, $19.95 U.S.).
Filled with how-to pointers and abundantly illustrated, Good Mail Day brings together a lot of information in one place about mail art. The book's chapters cover topics such as:
- Getting started with mail art
- How to put together a traveling mail art kit
- Drawing ideas and raw materials from the environment around us
- How to make and illustrate envelopes
- Working with paper
- Postal experiments
- Creating artistamps
- Developing one's postal personality
- Mail art projects and networking
As added inspiration, bound with the book in the back are some blank postcards and postal stickers.