Sunday, July 11, 2010

Peak Oil Day and Deepwater Horizon



On 11 July 2008, the price of a barrel of oil reached a record $147.27 in international trading. The Post Carbon Institute has identified this day to symbolize the time when global peak oil production occurred. July 11th serves as a reminder to start adapting to a post-petroleum world. All three charts reproduced on Cascadia Artpost stamps are courtesy of TheOilDrum.com. The charts illustrate respectively the peaking of world energy sources, trends in population growth and oil production, and the decline of oil production in the continental United States as well as Alaska.

In 2010, the uncontrolled release of oil and menthane from the Deepwater Horizon well into the waters of the Gulf of Mexico is an environmental disaster of unparalleled dimensions. Reliance on high-risk methods such as deep-water drilling is a consequence of the peaking of global petroleum production. The photos of distressed waterfowl shown on Cascadia Artpost artistamps were taken by Charlie Riedel of the Associated Press off East Grand Terre Island on the Louisiana coast, while the photo of the blue-gloved hand and the oil-covered beach in the same locale appears courtesy of Greenpeace.

Will we learn any lessons from these events?

1 comment:

Kira Roza said...

My Testimony Hello everyone. Am here to testify how I got my loan from Mr. Benjamin after I applied several times from various loan lenders who promised to help but they never gave me the loan. Until a friend of mine introduced me to Mr.Benjamin Lee promised to help me and indeed he did as he promised without any form of delay.I never thought there are still reliable loan lenders until I met Mr. Benjamin Lee, who indeed helped with the loan and changed my belief. I don't know if you are in any way in need of a genuine and urgent loan, Be free to contact Mr. Benjamin via WhatsApp +1-989-394-3740 and  his email: 247officedept@gmail.com thank you.